Re: Open Office file formats (Oasis-open) and gnumeric

On Mon, Mar 10, 2003 at 12:06:47PM -0500, Russell McOrmond wrote:

If there was sponsorship of GNOME Office to the OASIS Open Office TC,
would that solve the problem in your mind?
yes.

  I am also wondering how many people involved with GNUmeric are Canadian.
Two of the major contributors are Canadian.
Dr Guelzow has done quite a bit of work on the statistics and
general infrastructure.  I've been the primary maintainer for
several years.

It normally doesn't matter where someone is from for anything Free
Software or Internet related, but does when promoting software projects
within governments.
Really ?  I had not considered that a factor.  Gnumeric is in use
within several Canadian institutions, including the Bank of Canada.
However, I'd never considered lobbying for inclusion on anything
beyond a technical level.

  I don't believe that
GNUmeric or any of the other GNOME office or KOffice tools are ported to
MS Windows.
True there is no win32 port of Gnumeric as yet.  We've been working
towards a version on gtk+.  However, no one with win32 tools has
stepped forward to help finish the process.  At this point all
libraries that we want to depend on are available.  The only
remaining issues are with some lingering depends on libgnomeui that
will be removed shortly.