Re: Gnumeric & graphing

Sorry if I missed previous responses to this post, but I don't think I
saw any.

On Tue, 25 Feb 2003, January Weiner 3 wrote:

almost exactly a year ago I have posted a similar question -- how can you
produce advanced graphs using gnumeric?  Guppi works nice, but has a lot of
capabilities not used by gnumeric.  A year ago, Jody Goldberg wrote:

      "The current state of graphs provides the framework to build in,
      but barely scratches the surface of guppi's abilities.  More will
      be added shortly."

Has anything changed in that field?

Yes.  At present the version of gnumeric that is under active
development is unable to produce any graphs.  For the "old-style"
1.0.X series, the situation is as Jody described it, a few graph types
are available via Guppi at a sort of "proof of concept" level.

Or, maybe, there is a way to bind gnuplot with gnumeric?

This has occurred to me too, but I haven't yet tried to code it. It
may be worth exploring.

Gnumeric is in most ways an excellent, even superior, alternative to
MS Excel (and StarOffice/OpenOffice).  The one major lack, as I see
it, is the capacity to produce graphs/charts, which is a rather
essential aspect of a spreadsheet program from the standpoint of many
users, but which has apparently been given short shrift in gnumeric
development.

Allin Cottrell.