Re: Gnumeric & graphing

Hi,

Sorry if I missed previous responses to this post, but I don't think I
saw any.

Neither did I :-)

Gnumeric is in most ways an excellent, even superior, alternative to
MS Excel (and StarOffice/OpenOffice).  The one major lack, as I see
it, is the capacity to produce graphs/charts, which is a rather
essential aspect of a spreadsheet program from the standpoint of many
users, but which has apparently been given short shrift in gnumeric
development.

Gnumeric has nice tools to do statistical analyses, but they are in some
aspects sligthly less advanced then what I would need.  I use R for that
purpose.  Most of the other additional features I do not use in my
everydays work.

What I do badly need, however, as a scientist, is a GUI userfriendly
graphing program and an Excel-like spreadsheet.  Incidently, Excel is not
perfect either, when it comes to graphing, because it targets a slightly
different audience.  Gnuplot is nice, but it has its limitations, not to
mention the lack of a biologist-friendly interface :-)  The graphing
capabilities of R are almost perfect, but, again, the issue is the
interface -- I tend to spend too much time on browsing the manuals while
generating even simple charts.

Sadly, I have not time and enough capabilities to help fixing the issue,
and I have already devoted some time to develop OS software for my
scientific playground.  So I'll just have to check in next year :-)

j.

Any scientific advancement that stems from the result of Scottish people
doing strange things to sheep is bound to have dire consequences.