Re: Viewpoints on conditional formatting, anyone?

On Tue, Jan 07, 2003 at 12:49:42AM +0100, Kjetil Torgrim Homme wrote:
I'm missing the ability to AND several clauses, but perhaps the "is
between" suffices.  I'd put the focus on the format:

There are 2 types of condition to consider.
    1) Cell Value
         XL supplied a simple interface to provide constraints based
         on the per cell values.
    2) Formula
        User supplies a generic expression that is evaluated at each
        point but need not directly related to the current cell.
        This can be used to generate more powerful condition sets
        at the expense of clarity.  By using relative references in
        the expression you can create a dependency on the current
        value.
            eg AND(A1>3,A2<5)   (NOTE A1 not $A$1)
            would be true if the current value was >3 and the value
            below it was <5.

The multiple conditions seem to form a simple if else if tree.

I don't think it's confusing to make this unlimited, the user asked
for it.
Agreed.  The only reason I see to limit it would be to keep a user
from doing something like having 100 conditions.