Re: Gnumeric and RedHat 8.0- resolved

Don't go messing with Freetype! This is a unicode issue, it is not yet
completely supported in all applications. By default, RH8 installs UTF8. One
option is the change the system locale to an ISO set.

I read the Red Hat release notes, which give a better solution than changing
the entire system locale:

http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-8.0-Manual/release-notes/x86/

"Certain third party applications, such as the AdobeĀ® Acrobat ReaderĀ®, may not
function correctly (or crash upon startup) because they lack support for
Unicode locales. Until third party developers provide such support in their
products, you may work around this issue by setting the LANG environment
variable at the shell prompt to C prior to typing the application name. For
example:

env LANG=C acroread"

I tried this on Gnumeric, and it does the trick.

--
Carla Schroder