Re: Gnumeric and RedHat 8.0

On Thu, Oct 24, 2002 at 10:12:08AM -0400, Reuben D. Budiardja wrote:
Hello,
Just curious for anyone who's using gnumeric in Redhat 8.0. I tried to
install
RH 8.0, and gnumeric that ship with it has a problem that it displays
monospacing font, even for font like Helvetica (which is the default), and
the spacing between characters are large. So eg., instead of displaying
"abcdefg"
it will display something like
"a  b  c  d  e  f  g"

Using Courier makes the problem worst. The same problem happens with
AbiWord
by the way. Anyone else experience this? This seems like RH problem rather
than gnumeric, but I am just curious.

My first suspicion would be freetype.  We've had several reports of
crashing from RH8 systems when people print.  The version of
freetype shipping with rh8 (2.1.2) is known to be borked.  RH tried
to patch it, but appears to have missed a few things.  My suggestion
would be to look for an update to freetype, or downgrade to 2.1.1

I'm having the same problem, and with Abiword too. Here are screenshots:

http://www.bratgrrl.com/abiword.png
http://www.bratgrrl.com/gnumeric.png

I've been talking to a person at Red Hat, and not learning much. Open Office
is their preferred office suite, they consider Abiword and Gnumeric to be
nice 'extras'. All I know is I do NOT want to have to run multiple Linuxes
just to get the applications I want. There's enough of that in the Winderz
world.

Before I risk trashing my system by messing with freetype, I wonder if there
isn't some way to really pin this down? I have no problems at all with
printing.
--
Carla Schroder