Re: exporting graphs as EPS?

On Tue, 15 Oct 2002 20:04:45 -0500
Skylar Thompson <skylar stu161006 student earlham edu> wrote:

On Tue, Oct 15, 2002 at 09:35:20PM -0300, John Coppens wrote:
I'm a bit confused. Gimp is a raster paint program. If you read a PS file,
you'll convert it to raster image. If you then export it to EPS, it's not
a vector image anymore, is it?

No, it isn't, and you get a corresponding drop in quality, but it's the
best I knew of until this.

Here's a tool to convert:

http://www.telematik.informatik.uni-karlsruhe.de/~bless/ps2eps.html

Is there a way to get this onto Freshmeat? I just checked, and it isn't
listed.

Well, I don't know why you would want it on freshmeat? Announcements there
are mainly about projects hosted at sourceforge.net, even though some
projects have just a project page there, just to appear in the freshmeat
list. This project is hosted in a University in Germany, they seem to
have their own resources...

To find it, I just took a gamble, and searched google.com for ps2eps. I
thought that might be a good name for such a utility. There are others
with the same name. I haven't tried  pstoeps  yet... Might exist too.

In reality, the conversion from ps to eps is quite simple - I believe
it's documented at the Adobe site somewhere.

Greetings,

John