Re: Gnumeric : Contest for a Splash Screen

Jody,

Nice splash -- You're on the right track, but, i've got a few suggestions:

The splash is a little "busy"..... It's got a little too much going on. I
can count a foot, a sky, a grassy plain, a sunset, a spreadsheet UI, and no
less than 10 words packed within a roughly 500x500 area. Thats a bit much.

While the sky/plain/sunset look pretty, they overpower the image with depth
cues. You've got the viewer's eye going up, out, and down at the same time.

The first two lines of the text are both unnecessary, and the font used is a
bit too heavy/clumsy. Left-justifying the text is also a little awkward,
center-justified might look cleaner The fourth line of text also lacks a
drop shadow. The dropshadows on the rest of the text is far too harsh --
Using the Drop Shadow filter in Gimp's Script-Fu menu will help you lay down
a nice, soft dropshadow.

Putting a subtle shade on the bottoms of the letters themselves will also
look good. Give it a try.

Cheers,
Bowie

PS ... Alot of people have told me that when it comes to constructive
criticism, i'm more into the "criticism" than I am into the "constructive".
:)  i.e., i'm not trying to beat you over the head with a loaf of french
bread...Just offering a few suggestions. :) If you'de like, I can whip up a
splash screen as well.