Re: Choosing parameters.

On Fri, May 24, 2002 at 11:29:02AM -0400, Daniel Carrera wrote:

I suppose that it makes sense to try many points and see which one arrives
at the lowest Chi Squared.

Won't that be expensive though?  Also, how do we know how many points to
try?  That number depends on the user-defined function and the size of the
intervals chosen.
This is a standard limitation of solvers.  The user must do
additional testing of whatever result is produced.  There are no
hard and fast rules around it.

Furthermore, wouldn't it still be good to help the user pick good ranges
by seeing a plot?  Is this difficult?
Yes and no.
ploting can help visualize things with low dimensionality, but it
still requires user input to tune the parameters
    - what bounds ?
    - what step size ?

In the 1.1 development tree (when guppi is ready) we'll have direct
access to guppi.  Which should make it easier to throw up a plot if
desired.

Methodologies like simulated annealing attempt to get around this by
introduing a degree of randomness, but that introduces repeatability
issues.