Re: [Gnumeric] Screenshots in Gnumeric Docs.

On Thu, 2002-03-14 at 21:21, Adrian Custer wrote:
1) reduced the cc list to gnumeric-list & gnome-doc-list since we are
all on those.
Good idea

2) Side by side help.
Is there a vision that eventually gnome apps would have a "help-mode"
where clicking on a gui element would send an appropriate signal to the
docs so the docs could jump to a page about that element? I assume this
is horrendously difficult but would be a nice escalation:
 1) Name/words in gui element
 2) Tooltips
 3) Help mode
It would be nice.  That isn't in the code right now though.

One other thing. Kevin, you are worried about the long term. I think
gnumeric is getting to the point where its foundational "look" is not
going to change much over the next few years. Thanks to this stability,
the docs will age much more gracefully than they have in the recent
past. I don't mind newer ideas comming along to improve docs but we
should agree on the foundation. I don't think having 300+ images in the
docs is terribly harmful to anyone but the cvs users. We may want to
split gnumeric-docs out of gnumeric for convinience but I don't think
more docs are particularly harmful.
The GDP, for as long as I've been a member, has had standard theme
requirements.  This isn't an overly hard requirement to meet IMHO.  The
Gnumeric documentation is not only using the wrong Gtk theme, the wrong
window manager theme, but the wrong window manager on top of it.  This
looks very unprofessional and incoherent.  I'm sure that we don't even
use the same theme in all the shots anyways.
Having 300+ images in the documentation creates a lot of wasted space
that people need to go through.  They know what a box is, why do they
need to be shown it (they aren't going to really gain much from the
picture).
We _can't_ split Gnumeric documentation out of Gnumeric.  There is stuff
that is auto-generated.  This would be terribly hard with it split.
Could some people from the GDP give takes on this thread?

Kevin