Re: Updating GNUmeric and all its dependencies on RedHat 7.2 Intel from 0.67 to 1.0.x

Gaziz,

I want to update gnumeric from 0.67 to latest stable 1.0.4.x.

A tree of dependencies is pretty deep and I wonder if there is a tool for
automatically resolving package dependencies...

I found this process *very* time-consuming in Red Hat 7.1 (intel), but I was
able to build the damn thing in the end.

The finished gnumeric was worth the effort, it's a great tool.

So here are my tips, but keep in mind I'm not a gnumeric developer, and know
very little about gnome or gnumeric internals.

1) Old versions of the gnome-config utility will cause you great pain. I had
to remove the default Red Hat one, and replace it with a recent version.
(You may not have to do this in Red Hat 7.2.....)

2) I could not get gnome-config to be happy with the Gnome App Libraries,
(0.16). So I resorted to commenting out this section of the configure script
and hard-coding a "yes" in the appropriate place.

3) I had to remove old versions of a number of the gnome libraries

4) I had to add /usr/local/lib to /etc/ld.so.conf

Anyone know of a good source of statically-linked gnumeric builds? I for one
would be happy to download and use a bit, fat executable, rather than have to
learn so much about the build environment. ;-)

Regards,

Simon Taylor

--
Unisolve Pty Ltd - Melbourne, Australia