Excel Converter

Hello!

I am interested in standalone conversion from Excel Spreadsheet format
to .csv or Gnu Oleo format.

This is, because I try to compile text-only viewers for all popular
filetypes and found that "xsltocsv" (which comes with catdoc) does not
a sufficient good job.

How difficult would it be, to re-use the import/export features of
gnumeric for this task?

Would it be able - like in LyX - to call gnumeric from the
commandline, without starting up the grafical interface, to do the
conversion?  ("lyx -e pdf file.lyx" creates a pdf file from the lyx
file, and does not open any window).

Please cc me, as I am not on the list.

Best Regards, and thanks for the great work on Gnumeric!

     Jorge-León