Non-modal "format cells" window

I would like to suggest making the "Format Cells" pane
a non-modal window.  What I would like to do is open
the "format cells" pane once, then select a cell or
range, pick formatting options from the pane, click
"apply", and then select other cells or ranges and
repeat the process.  All without closing and reopening
the "format cells" pane between formatting operations
on different cells.

I looked around in gnumeric and the online
documentation and faq and didn't see an obvious switch
somewhere that turns on this option.  If there is such
a switch, please kindly point out where it it.

Thank you.