Re: "Too many cells" messages on import of Excel files

On Tue, Jan 01, 2002 at 01:09:22PM -0600, Brian Fahrlander wrote:
   "old" a file she can make, but when she loads her "current" version,
   very few of the macros are supported (or SOMETHING) and when she goes to
We do not support VBA macros yet.

   save it she gets a "too many rows" message, with very little else to go
   on.
This was fixed in newer versions of gnumeric (~ 0.76?).  The problem
stemed from a poor handling of formats applied to entire columns.
XL95 only supported 16k rows, and gnumeric was overly careful not to
loose information (the formats) in the 16k-64k range.  Newer
versions handle this more elegantly.  You can work arond it for now
by manually selecting and deleting all rows > 16k.

   I haven't seen any information on how to communicate with contemporary
   machines; is the '95 version the only one in use?  Are there any ways
   around this?  Maybe there's something we're doing wrong?
Newer versons of XL can still read XL95, and gnumeric can read all
versions >= Excel4 so you should have no problem.  There is an XL97
exporter (the format did not change much after that) but it was
disabled until it is more stable.

   We're using the next-to-most-current release of Gnumeric; it came
   through Ximian, and when the 1.0 comes out, we'll get it from Ximian,
   too. (Should be kinda soon, right?)
They're working on it now.