Re: HSSFSerializer - Extensions?

Jody Goldberg wrote:

We're amenable to extensions to the existing format.  Moreover
gnumeric is going to be making a jump to a new wrapper format
shortly at which time I hope to make larger scale changes to
the xml representation and would appreciate any feedback you have on
limitations or irritations in the current schema.
I know for me, the biggest irritation is with "style region". While I like that in one respect its very disjointed from Excel and produces a leaky abstraction, but thats not all, it can cause data loss.

Meaning I might want to group a particular set of cells as one type of style not particularly related to
location.  I might alter them all later.

My preference would be (this markup is off the top of my head and not intended to be accurate, just give the picture):

<styles>
</styles>

<styleregions>
 <styleregion startcol....startrow...endrow.... style="1"/>
</styleregions>

<cells>
  <cell row="1", col="2" style="1"></cell>
</cells>

Here we have a defined style which the style region is assinged to. The style region is "optional" but serves as a "default" for cells in a certain region of the sheet. The cells may also be specifically defined a style which overrides the style region's style that the cell falls within.

This would allow an efficiency gain with the HSSFSerializer when users didn't use style regions (as assigning by cell is how excel does it). I LIKE the style regions for some situations, but hate them for others (like total rows...its a pain to go up and create a style region, nor is it particularly efficient). Furthermore it allows you to assign one style to multiple regions...

Thats been our #1 gripe for like a year now (but I never said anything about it so its my fault ;-) )... Hope that helps...

-Andy