Generating spreadsheet from a script

Dear friends...

First of all, I am not much of a programmer, just a sysadmin.

I have been asked to parse some application logs and put them in a
spreadsheet. I have succesfully done so using a gnumeric spreadsheet as
a template, filling it in with the vaules I get form my aplication logs.
I'll admit that I just uncompress the xml file, search for strings and
replace them. It's simple, it works. But it isn't very flexible.

There's an example of what I do at http://www.amayita.com/gnumeric/
- base.gnumeric .. is my template.
- semana_4/ ...... has the data I parsed from my logs.
- parseo.pl ...... is the script that fills in my template with the data
                   found in  semana_4/
- semana4.gnumeric is the resulting spreadsheet, what I want to
                   dynamically generate.
- gnumeric.tar.bz2 is a tarball with everything in case you want to be
                   able to download it and examine it locally.

I have then been asked to do it for different clients, and here is where
my heartache ;-) begins... Instead of having a different template for
each client (a real pain), I want to dynamically generate the
spreadsheet, using something like Perl or Python would be great.

I would also love to be able to graph the results, but that is probably
a second step that should be dealed with later.

I think bonobo-perl is the way I want to go, but I can't seem to find
documentation or examples that deal with gnumeric. I would appreciate
guidance, code with similar functionality, a url... or anything you
might come up with.

Thanks a lot for your time.

--
Amaya M. Rodrigo Sastre       Genasys II Spain, S.A.U.
MLS IT SysAdmin                 Ventura de la Vega, 5.