Re: Install Problem with Gnumeric-0.71

On Thu, Oct 11, 2001 at 08:49:05PM -0400, Jeffrey Stephens wrote:
I hope it's not heresy on this list to say that I prefer the KDE desktop to
Gnome, but I would like to install the latest stable gnumeric. I downloaded
gnumeric-0.71 and read the README file.  I downloaded and installed the
Your desktop preferences are your own.  Our goal is to produce a
spreadsheet.

minimum list of prerequisites specified there and then ran "./configure".
This is the error I get:

creating libtool
checking for gnome-config... no
checking for gnomeConf.sh file in /usr/local/lib... not found
configure: error: Could not find the gnomeConf.sh file that is generated by
gnome-lib

I have the gome-libs-1.0.58-1 RPM installed.

There are two things to watch out for.

1) You will need to have the '-devel' packages installed too.
   eg gnome-libs is sufficent for running a gnome app but
      gnome-libs-devel is required to compile one.
NOTE : the same holds true for all of Gnumeric's prerequisites.
    libxml1, libglade, gnome-print, libole2 etc
    You will need the development packages for all of them.

2) When you install from packages there is always a risk when the
packages come from different sources that they will be installed in
different ways.
    eg gnome-libs installed with     --prefix=/usr
    and you compile with the default --prefix=/usr/local

This is solvable but requires some care.  Be sure that
'gnome-config' is in your path.  It is a shell script supplied by
the gnome-libs (-devel) package.  You can then use the GNOME_PATH
environment variable to add a ':' seperated list of prefixes to it.
That will enable it to find packages that have been installed with
other prefixes.

Although 1.0.58 is sufficient for non-bonobo-enabled builds of
gnumeric it will not allow you to use some of gnumeric's newer
features like embedded images or graphs.

Good Luck
    Jody