Re: Encodings in gnumeric

On Fri, 16 Nov 2001, Pere Pujal Carabantes wrote:

Vlad Harchev wrote:

On Mon, 12 Nov 2001 ppujal airtel net wrote:

Hi all

I have some extrange behaviour when triing to use some of the characters especific to iso885915
encoding:

They look correct in the entry field but look as if where typed in iso88591 on the cells and preview.
The selected font have the symbols (printing to a ps file and passing it trought sed, I get the correct)

I have LANG,LANGUAGE and LC_ALL exported to an iso885915 locale and set the gtk font to an iso885815
encoded one. Maybe I am missing something?

 This shouldn't happen with your configuration of software (it doesn't have
any known bugs wrt font support). The only reason for your problems could be
broken fonts (fonts with wrong glyph names). So replace your fonts with valid
ones.

Well, after some trys and downloading fonts, I think one of both:

a) Say all of the fonts I've find are wrong or

 Registering non-latin1 fonts with gnome print is very tricky, but possible.
 The following should be the easies way: register font with name different
from standard adobe font names. Select that font in gnumeric. Type something
and print. If the font is correct, you should see iso15 letters as expected.
If not - you'll see iso1 symbols.

b) there is a bug in gnumeric or gnome-print

When gnumeric stores the chain 111"eurosign"111 as
<gmr:Content>111&#164;111</gmr:Content>
is storing in the locale(iso885915) set by the user or in unicode?

 it's in the user's locale.
 Yes, charset is not specified in xml. I think this is one of the features of
libxml1 gnumeric uses, and it will be fixed when gnome moves to gtk2.

if in user locale then there is a problem in gnome-print or in the
communication beteen gnumeric and gnome-print (there is nothing in the
xml file that specifies the encoding)

 When passing text to gnome-print, the text is converted to utf8, so
gnome-print knows exactly Unicode values of the text it needs to print. At
least since gnumeric-0.65.

 I just want to say that gnumeric saves, opens, prints, exports/imports xls
with russian (koi8-r encoding, single byte one) just perfectly.

 Best regards,
  -Vlad