Re: Gnumeric 0.75, a few considerations

On Fri, Nov 16, 2001 at 04:38:49PM +0100, wwp wrote:
 - when editing a cell (for text typing) with F2, when pressing Shift+[any
   arrow], it starts to select a text. This is normal of course, but the
   selection is shown in the formula widget, and not in the cell itself.
   Could it be possible to see the selection in the cell too?
   Same, the mouse cursor doesn't allow to select the text inside the cell
   while typing in it.
Not for 1.0.  We don't support in cell editing.  For the next
release I am going to merge the edit item with the cell-draw
routines which will make this even more difficult.

 - a part of text copied (CTRL+C) anywhere from within Gnumeric can be
   pasted into a cell (F2.. typing some text.. then CTRL+V: it adds the text to
   the cell's content: OK).
   But it seems to be impossible to paste a text copied from another app
   while editing the content of a cell..
   I've noticed that pasting a text copied from outside when I'm *not* inside
   a cell will lead Gnumeric to open a import dialog. This import feature works
   well and is very nice. Neither using this, it've not found a way to paste
   the whole text inside 1 cell only.
   Is there a workaround for this, or would it be a future feature if possible?
Yes, there is a bug open on this.  I hope to find a workaround for
it before 1.0.

 - the undo feature is not allowed when editing cell's content or I'm wrong?
True, This would be a 2.0 feature.

 - using the "Print setup" on a .xls file, when the "Center" option is set
    (horizontal and/or vertical), the data from the sheet are shown completely
    outside of the margins (so, outside of the paper) when opening a "Print
    preview".. Disabling "Center" prevents this behaviour.
    Is this because I'm editing a .xls directly?
This is a bug in all versions <= 0.75.  It is fixed in CVS.

    Moreover, when clicking 30 times on the "Print preview", it opens 30
    different Print previews! Is this a intentional feature, or would it be
    better to update the current preview window?
Good Idea, I'll try to get this in before 1.0.

 - I've compiled with GNOME basic support (seems OK at ./configure & make
    time), but what can I do to use gb scripts in Gnumeric? I can't see
    anything related to this in Gnumeric interface, whereas gb is installed and
    the plugin is loaded OK.
gb plugin is experimental.

    Note that README says Gnumeric requires GB == 0.0.19, but configure
    script looks for == 0.0.17 (and that it compiles without problem against 0.0.20).
README has been fixed.

    I've not found any doc about the use of Gnumeric and GB together (macros?),
    neither in Gnumeric's doc, nor in GB's one.. is something written about this?
No.  We are intentionally ignoring scripting for 1.0.  I'd rather
get a release done then work on this when there is more time.