Re: Gnumeric file went south .

Relevant to my original complaint, I woke up this morning to find the following message scrolling
interminably on one of my sessions---presumeably the same session on which I had X11 running.

   ** CRITICAL**: file sheet.c: line 1739, (Sheet_row_get): assertion 'pos < SHEET_MAX_ROWS' failed.

I tried the procedure recommended by Daniel Veillard.  The same thing.  I wouldn't know what to look for in
the xml file, to repair it.  Maybe something about MAX_ROWS?

Thank you for the immediate attention.  I am impressed.

Emacs handles this quite well.  What objection is there to having a backup option like emacs?   Writing a
file in a secure manner is something that seems a necessity.  Virtually all programs I have used seem to have
some means to write the file before changing the name.  Then again, I am not a programmer.

Thank you,

Alan Davis

--
adavis saipan com                                      1-670-235-6580
    Alan E. Davis,  PMB 30, Box 10006, Saipan, MP 96950-8906, CNMI

 I have steadily endeavored to keep my mind free, so as to give up any
 hypothesis, however much beloved -- and I cannot resist forming one on
 every subject -- as soon as facts are shown to be opposed to it.
                                  -- Charles Darwin (1809-1882)

All my grades were in a gnumeric file, which file, partly due to
Gnumeric not having (AFAICT) a way to configure for backups at
periodic intervals, was lost when my disk filled up.

This reminds me some idea. Currently all file savers in Gnumeric
just overwrite the file while saving. If we can't save for some reason (lost
connection to file server, Gnumeric/OS crash, etc.), we loose the data (the
old file is overwritten and the new one is unusable). How about saving the
file to <tmp_prefix>-<file_name> and then (if everything is ok) renaming it?
I volunteer to implement this for most savers.

Zbigniew