Re: Text Importer redundancy

On Mon, Jul 09, 2001 at 12:48:32PM -0700, Adrian Custer wrote:

Is the column formatting part of the Text/Import dialog (druid) of use?

Right now it is of less use that it will be.  The trick is that the
_display_ format should take precedence as the first _parse_ format
to attempt.  eg

    1/2/2001

Do we call that m/d/y or d/m/y ?
Right now we generally do the right thing because we set the default
date formats depending on the users locale.  Also, if the user
selects text ('@') as the format we do treat it as text.  However,
that is only a partial solution.  People whose default locales use
d/m/y that designate a column as 'm/d/y' when importing will get the
wrong result.  This is a known and documented limitation that will
be fixed eventually.

However, I do like your notion of allowing for multiple selections.
It would be a nice touch, but is certainly very low on the list of
things to do.

Hope that clarifies things,
    Jody