Re: gnumeric & eog

On 07 Jul 2001 16:50:27 -0400, Jody Goldberg wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 07, 2001 at 08:43:24PM +0200, Lutz Mueller wrote:
> > Just try: Use latest CVS EOG and insert an image into a gnumeric sheet.
> > Activate it. Menu entries for printing etc. will get added to the File
> > menu, but at the end after exit. So, here is the first problem. Will you
> > accept patches to src/GNOME_Gnumeric.xml that add something like
> > <placeholder name="PrintOperations" delimit="top"/>?
> I like the idea of standardizing the placeholders.
Attached please find a patch that synchronizes EOG and gnumeric by introducing two placeholders: FileOperations and PrintOperations. When applied, activating the EOG embeddable puts printing related menus directly below gnumeric ones. Same with file related menus. Right now, those menus appear below gnumeric's close and exit menu item (which is bad).
> > (2) Activation/Deactivation:
> > Deactivating the component doesn't remove the added menu entries. Are you
> > going to look into that or are you waiting for patches?
> I had not noticed.  Feel free to propose patches.
I'll look into that.
> > (3) Ref-counting:
> > I just fixed ref-counting for EOG. The component (named eog-image-viewer)
> > now shuts down after the shell (eog) is done (ok, only if the shell is the
> > only program using the component). This doesn't happen with gnumeric:
> > Inserting a picture and deleting it will leave the eog-image-viewer
> > running. Something is wrong here. Again, are you accepting patches or is
> > somebody already working on this?
>
> No one is actively using embeddables in gnumeric yet, we are just
> starting to make them generally available.  Any work you can do
> would be appreciated.  JonKare is working on modernizing gnumeric's
> embeddablility and use as a Control, but that is about it.  I did
> some basic cleanup when I began graphs, but there is much to do.
>
> Persistence, refcounting, and menu/toolbars are high on the list.
> Sadly, I'm forced to think of those problems as 'polish' and will
> not be working on them until after the feature freeze later this
> month.  My goal is to get frozen panes and basic graphs functional
> by then.

I'll look into that, too. Right now, the EogEmbeddable and the EogEmbeddableView are created, but only the EogEmbeddableView will be destroyed on "Delete". I'll see...

Thank you!

Lutz Müller
--
                                                        \|||/
| Lutz Mueller           +49 (7156) 34837        +---ooO-(_)-Ooo---+
| Hans-Sachs-Strasse 5                                             |
| 71254 Ditzingen        http://www.uni-karlsruhe.de/~Lutz.Mueller |
| Germany                urc8 rz uni-karlsruhe de                  |