How can I get rid of empty rows and columns? [Newbie]

Hi,

I have a spreadsheet that contains all of a sudden 65535 rows (mostly
empty) and also the maximal number of columns.

How can I get rid of them?  This is a very serious problem since the
print command prints all the whole sheet with all empty rows and
columns.
(I searched the archive but did not find anything.)

If deleting rows and columns were not possible then gnumeric were
absolutely unusable for serious work.

(I tried all offered combinations of selections and delete commands
already.)

Please, answer to me directly.
Thanks for your help.

Best regards,