"precision as displayed" feature from Excel

Package: gnumeric
Version: 0.61
Severity: wishlist

As was suggested by Jody Goldberg when I asked about this on
gnumeric-list, , here is the wishlist request for the Excel Tools ->
Options (calculation tab) feature "precision as displayed".

Consider the following spreadsheet cells, formatted as currency:

=0.02*916.67   (displays $18.33)
=0.02*916.67   (displays $18.33)
=0.02*916.67   (displays $18.33)
=sum(above 3 cells) (displays $55.00)

It would be nice if it could be made to display $54.99 (e.g, for
summing tax withholdings).  Both Excel and Staroffice have this
feature.

Jody's response was the following:

I never noticed that feature and as such have neither implemented
nor considered implementing it.  It is probably fairly simple to do
internally.  We would add an post calculation filter to
    src/cell.c:cell_eval_content
to perform the necessary rounding.

Two architectural issues stand in the way
1) There is currently no tidy place to stick this flag
2) The format specifications are nicely parameterized internally.
   figuring out what the display precision is would require some
   work.

Both problems could be worked around with a quick solution.
However, I'd prefer to solve them correctly, which will take more
time.  Feel free to file a wishlist level bug and I'll get to it
eventually, however it would not be high on the priority list.

If anyone is interested in working on these problems things will get
done sooner.