Re: complex numbers

Hi Guenter,

On Thu, 4 Jan 2001, Guenter Milde wrote:
I would appreciate very much if gnumeric supported complex
numbers becouse this would enhance the possibilities for
scientific computing very much.

        Try entering 1+3j in A1, and =IMTAN(A1) into B1 and see what
happens :-)

        These are the same as the engineering functions available through
an Excel plugin that ships as standard; should export / import to / from
excel as well. The representation of the complex number as a string is
pretty pathetic, and I though an engineer I prefer 'i' to 'j' but hey,
life is ever thus.

        Also try: IMDIV, IMSUB, IMPRODUCT, IMABS, IMAGINARY, IMREAL,
IMARGUMENT, IMEXP ... ( see functions/fn-eng.c ).

        HTH,

                Michael.