Preliminary evaluation of the documentation.

Hello everyone,

I gather a number of people are working on, or thinking about the gnumeric
documentation. I would hope that we could map out what needs to be done to
avoid duplication of effort. This is a first effort to get the ball rolling
and get early feedback.

I start out where the user would, with the weaknesses in getting to the
documentation. I then asses the semantic model we use through a comparison
of our docs with an old set of hard copy excel 4.0 manuals. Once we have a
semantic model, we can evaluate the pieces of the documentation. Ideally, we
could list needs of the target audiences and ensure that they can find what
they are looking for. Finally, we could build a TODO list and assign people
to them.

Maybe I'm way off base with this, if so just let me know,

ciao,
adrian

Accessing Help:
**************

- I've always thought that the help menu should be on the far right, a la
macintosh, because it's nice and visible there.

- 2 access points: It only makes sense to support two entry points if the
Function Reference is cleaner that it is now. For the momment it is better
for users to use f(x) than this acces points. Sould it be disabled until it
is improved?

- Entry point into manual is boring, slams you with copyright notices,
diclaimers and the overly detailed outline right away (not user
friendly). We need a much better semantic model that can be easily
understood by a user the first time they look into the manual.

-Entry point into Function Reference is confusing: alpahbetical is good for
users who remember the function name but for most the organization of the
function druid is much better. Should be converted to tables? And what
generates the double list of functions?

Comparison of the Gnumeric docs and Excel 4.0 manuals:

Structure:
---------
        gnumeric                                                        excel4.0
        ========                                                        ========
                                                                                User's guide1:
                                                                                        getting started
                                                                                                install
                                                                                                launching
                                                                                        learning-
                                                                                                using tutorial
                                                                                                using help
                                                                                                other
resources
                                                                                                using commands

menu/toolbar/...
                                                                                        Managing Files

1  Intro:
        description of gui
2  Entering data:                                                       Creating a Worksheet
                                                                                                selection
                                                                                                entry
                                                                                                edit in
formula bar
                                                                                                create series
                                                                                                formulas
                                                                                                controling
caluculation
3  Copying and Moving:                                          Editing a Worksheet
                                                                                                moving
                                                                                                insert/delete
                                                                                                find/replace
                                                                                                sort
4  Autofill
5  Cell Formatting:                                                     Formatting a Worksheet
6  Working with files:(above)
7  Printing:(below)
8  Data Filters:
9  Solver:
10 Data Analysis: (below in User Guide 2)
11 Auto Correct:

Organizing/Documenting a Ws.
                                                                                                Named
cells/ranges/formula
                                                                                                outlining
                                                                                                comments

troubleshooting
                                                                                        Using Databases
                                                                                        Using multiple docs
                                                                                        Graphing
                                                                                        More Graphing
12 Tutorials:
13 Drawing on worksheet:                                        Drawing
                                                                                        Printing
                                                                                        Keyboard Navigation

                                                                                User's Guide 2:
                                                                                        Analyze and Calclulate
                                                                                                data tables
                                                                                                lookups
                                                                                                iteration
(for circ.refs)
                                                                                                statistical
                                                                                        What if analysis
                                                                                                worksheet
model
                                                                                                scenarios
                                                                                                what-if macro
                                                                                                solver
                                                                                        Exchange with other
apps
                                                                                        Customize Excel (look)
                                                                                        Custom Functions
                                                                                        Command Macros
(Scripting)
                                                                                        Custom App
14 Authors:
15 Liscense:
16 Function Reference:                                  Function Reference:
                                                                                        Functions
                                                                                        Macro
functions(e.g.ANOVA)
                                                                                        Command functions

Comments:

          Gnumeric seems to be thinking cell-> outward whereas excel things
operating system -> inwards. (yes, that is poetic isn't it?.) As a new user,
I suspect we would be thinking inwards also..."well, let's try using the
gnome spreadsheet thing...how do I launch it...File menu (I know what that
does)....look at that grid, lets' drag the mouse around it.....numbers..."

        Starting with a quick example tour would be nice:
                launch...type in data...format...save...print...exit...delete.

        A possible semantic model could be:
                Welcome with links to major subunits
                        Quick Intro
                        Orientation for docs
                        Files new/import/save/export
                        Worksheet Basics
                        Graphs/Drawings
                        Printing
                        Worksheet Advanced
                        Stats & other analysis
                        Appendices:
                                Authors
                                License
                                Function Refs
                                mini tutorials/how-tos?
For this structure THE ORDER IS UNIMPORTANT RIGHT NOW. The only critical
piece is the semantic hiearchy. How do diffferent users get the info they
want.

Evaluation of current manual: (to be done)
****************************

1  Intro:
        description of gui
2  Entering data:
3  Copying and Moving:
4  Autofill
5  Cell Formatting:
6  Working with files
7  Printing:
8  Data Filters
9  Solver:
10 Data Analysis
11 Auto Correct:
12 Tutorials:
13 Drawing on worksheet:
14 Authors:
15 Liscense:
16 Function Reference:

Target Audience:        (to be done)
***************

Newbie to computers:
Newbie to spreadseets:
Newbie to unix:
Newbie to gnome:
Newbie to gnumeric:
Advanced wants functions:
Advanced wants shortcuts:
Advanced wants ... :

TODO list:
(one line per item, formated with tabstops set to 4)

Issue                                                   Target                  Status                  Actor
Make first page friendly
Quick tour

Function Reference w/ tables

Convert sgml->xml                               gnome2.2                Started?                ?