gnumeric and I bow our heads in gratitude

Hi Adrian,
Thanks for showing me how to set the environment
variable for gnumeric.  Now can continue using
gnumeric without being hampered by renaming my changed
file.
I'm a member of PLUG "Prairie Linux User Group" in
Winnipeg CANADA.  Our homepage is www.openfarm.org you
are welcome to visit as you wish.

I am the treasurer of PLUG, until we have our first
annual general meeting at least, and I author short
articles each week and have them posted on our site.
I will be using your response to my gnumeric question
as the basis for my next article.

Happy New Year and cheers to Linux!

--- Adrian Custer <acuster nature berkeley edu> wrote:
Gnumeric 1.0 is about to come out. You are using an
old version and will
want to update. I believe this has not been an issue
for quite a few
vesions of gnumeric now.

An environmental variable is a characteristic of the
ways unix programs
are run. All unix programs have certain data
associated with them when
they are run. One group of data are the
environmental variables which
are set for that program.

If you open a shell you can look at the shell's
environmental variables.
if you use tcsh type
setenv
This will show you the variables which have been
declared. So to do what
you wanted you could:

1) open a terminal
2) type
/bin/tcsh (so we know we are in bash)
3) type
setenv  GNUMERIC_ENABLE_XL_OVERWRITE
The variable is now set to nothing which is fine
since its presence is
all that's needed.

You can also set local variables. with tcsh:
set MYNAME bubba
then
echo $MYNAME
and the shell will return