Editing cells in gnumeric

Hello gnumericians,

I'm porting a complete set of Excel files to GNU/linux environment, trying to find out
the most convenient tool to import the .xls files, and to allow to work with their content
without loosing abilities nor features.

For many monthes I checked the evolution of all the spreadsheets over Linux world.
IMHO, StarOffice made me laugh, it is very complete and powerfull but.. too huge and
resource consuming to be serious.
I find that gnumeric is not the most stable yet but the most clean and friendly, and its
future is very promising (tested 0.66 on a GNU/linux box). I've seen the heavy work
done in two years, nice job!

I would like to ask a few questions towards cell editing:

- cells from an imported .xls correctly show texts with NEWLINE char inside,
but gnumeric seems not to be able to insert such characters?
In fact the cell shows the multiline text OK, but the formula edition box does not, and
I didn't find a way to reproduce Excel's Alt+Enter or Star|OpenOffice's Ctrl+Enter.

- is this impossible to directly use the cell to edit its content? I've find that the formula
edition box is mandatory: cannot be removed, nor by-passed to edit cell's content. It
doesn't support multiline edition too..

- cell's content is limited to 2K, are there some limitations that don't allow to increase
this max amount to .. unlimited or at least more than 2K (even at compile time)?

- 0.66 was still crashing while playing with some .xls files (from excel97 -> 2000),
do you need the crashing .xls files or is everything fixed?

Thank you in advance for any answer you'll send,
best regards

--
wwp