Newbie trying and failing to "save"

I've been playing with gnumeric on various
helix-gnome distrubutions, redhat gnome and
so forth for a number of months, but I don't
play with it much, as whenever I try to save
a file, or rather to update a file, I get
an error saying something to the effect of
"Overwriting file disallowed for safety" or
words to that effect.

hmmm, I say, not being able to save early
and often for safety. That's a new one.

I always figgured it was some wierd perms thing.
I just built a new RH7 box, ran every update
I could find as of yesterday, and, , ,
No saving.

RH7,
Gnome Whatever ships on RH7, can't tell anywhere.
Gnumeric 0.54

Thanx

"All the best people in life seem to like LINUX."
 - Steve Wozniak