Re: ISO-8859-2 fonts

On Fri, Nov 03, 2000 at 09:06:13PM +0100, Jacek Pliszka wrote:
The font then does appear in the font selection list.

However picking the font from the list does not change
anything. The font in the spreadsheet remains unchanged.

We're in the midst of a release freeze just now.  But if you can
send me some detailed examples of
    - Where to get the font you expect to see
    - What you expect to see
    - What you actually see

I know that problem, but I cannot tell an easy solution:

1. The GnomeFont <-> xfont mapping in gnome-print really sucks - i.e.
you cannot insert your own custom mappings, and it works reliably only
for 20 standard PostScript font. But AFAIK Gnumeric uses its own font
selection dialog - so I cannot tell at moment, whether that makes an
difference.

2. Now, even if you manage to get iso-8859-2 X font to display for
gnumeric, it does not print things correctly, as (again AFAIK) it does
not know anything about encodings, and converts printable texts to unicode
assuming iso-8859-1.

3. You cannot trivially use dumb iso-8859-1/iso-8859-2 converters for
generated PostScript (without tweaking a bit with gnome-print) because
we already migrated to glyph-based (i.e. charset > 256) text output
in PostScript context.

I'll add it as a release-critical goal for the next release.

IMHO that means migrating to UTF-8 strings internally. Alternately you can
add gobal charset preference (either per system or per worksheet), that
can be (relatively - add unicode dependency) easily transcoded to UTF-8.

Lauris