Re: Table of Content plugin preview

On 4 May 2013 09:13, Rivera Valdez <riveravaldez ysinembargo com> wrote:
Sorry, Luc, I found the folder (in my case it was
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/gnote/addins/0.8.4/ ) and then pasted
the file compiled with the version of Gnote I've got installed in this pc,
but the result is the same: Gnote doesn't seem to notice the addin...

Once you put the file over there, is there anything else I have to do
(besides going Preferences » Add-ins and activate it)?

You may need to run 'ldconfig' to update the "library dynamic" (?)
Run "sudo ldconfig" in a terminal.

But, as Aurimas and Hubert said, gnote is not in a state to make it easy. I am sorry that I let people think it would be easy. With Tomboy/C# it is just needed to drop the add-in .dll file to make it work. I just thought it would be as simple with gnote.

Is it hard to compile (I mean, Gnote with TableOfContent?
Maybe I could simply compile it myself with the source of the addin
until the next version get stable...

Compiling is relatively easy when everything works fine. When it starts to report errors, it becomes more complicated. You could give it a try. Open a terminal and launch the following commands. Copy/paste, don't make typos, don't write the '1)',  '2)',  '3)', etc. prefixes.

1)  sudo apt-get build-dep gnote
2)  wget https://bugzilla.gnome.org/attachment.cgi?id=243278 -O gnote-0.8.4--toc--no-locale.tgz
3)  tar zxf gnote-0.8.4--toc--no-locale.tgz
4)  cd gnote-0.8.4--toc--no-locale
5)  ./configure --prefix=/usr/local
6)  make
7)  sudo make install
8)  sudo apt-get purge gnote
9)  killall gnote
10)  /usr/local/bin/gnote

== I give short explanation:

0) 'sudo' prefixed commands are launched with administrative rights. They may ask you for your user password.

1) will install the packages needed to build gnote. This is a very nice feature from Debian packaging system. It saves lot of troubles with compiling.

2) get gnote source code with table of content (I removed the locales to make the package smaller)
3) unpack it
4) jump into

5) generate the files needed to build gnote. I set it to install gnote in the /usr/local tree, so your own build gnote will not mix with your ubuntu packages. This will launch many checks and will report if your system is not ready to build gnote.

6) build (make) gnote. This will take some time (about 8 minutes on my "old" computer), and will throw a lot of output, including warnings, etc. Let it be. Again if everything is fine,

7) install the fresh gnote. This also will throw a lot of output. Let it be.

8) I recommend that you remove your ubuntu gnote, so they do not conflict

9) kill all running note
     Alternatively you can just Quit gnote.

10) launch the new gnote.
      Alternatively you should be able to launch gnote as you used to

Thanks!

On Thu, May 2, 2013 at 12:32 PM, Luc Pionchon <pionchon luc gmail com> wrote:
On 2 May 2013 18:16, Hubert Figuière <hub figuiere net> wrote:
On 02/05/13 06:30 AM, Rivera Valdez wrote:
> I just downloaded the file, closed Gnote and pasted the file on
> ~/.config/gnote/addins/ and then reopened Gnote (I repeated
> the process recently), but I can't find the addin nowhere.
> Do I have to change the name of the file or something else?

I wouldn't expect this to work.

How is it supposed to work?

I seem to recall it worked fine with gnote-3.6

I have now tried on a box with gnote-0.7.6.
- dropping into ~/.config/gnote/addins does NOT work
- dropping into /usr/lib/gnote/addins/0.7.6/ does work

Rivera, you could try the later, if you have admin rights