Re: Is there any way to use the Tomboy addins in/on/with Gnote?

On 4 April 2013 23:13, Aurimas Černius <aurisc4 gmail com> wrote:
Hi,

Hi,

> I am the developer of the TableOfContent addin. I would be interested
> in porting it to gnote especially if there would be a chance to merge
> it in the main repository.

You're welcome. If the addin works fine and well written, I'll be happy
to include it.

> My interest is double: that it would be translated into various
> languages and that it would be included by default in linux
> distributions, so it would benefit to most people.

Inclusion into Gnote would mean translations. We have no control over
distributions, they are free to not include any addin or to package it
in a separate package as they see fi

At least on Ubuntu, gnote is distributed with the default addins.

> The tomboy developers did not wanted it in the main repository. They
> have been talking about a community repository, but nothing has come
> in years.

What were their reasons for not including it?

It was not really clear for me, I was disappointed. They had the dream of a community repository and expected plenty of addins to land there, but this never came to reality. I think they do not wanted to take "foreign" code and have to maintain it, although in practice, I would have maintained it as long as I am using it, and it is trivial from the maintainer to disable an addin at build time if ever it would become unmaintained behind quality standard.

Every additional addin is additional code to maintain etc., but at
present I don't see reasons, why Gnote can't accept it. It might be that
some day in the future some addins will be split to separate package,
but at present it seems to be a distant future if any.

> Would gnote developers be OK to take it in the main repository?

As said before, rigth no I don't see any reasons, why not. Of course, this does not mean, that it will be. To be included, it has to be written in the first place.

I will give it a try and you could review it and give feedback