Re: CLI interface in the works, anyone interested?

On 2010-03-07 17:55, Debarshi Ray wrote:
>> How would you suggest to do the detection? look for the presence of both
>> binaries in PATH and choose automatically if only one of them is available?
>
> Check for the presence of their DBus services[...] What do
> you think?

It would indeed be a lot cleaner. I didn't know this could be done (in
fact, I don't know too much about the dbus API, yet).

I'll dig in the documentation to find how this could be done.

> and if both are there
> look for a config file or ask the user to specify something.

I have already added a command line option to force connecting to gnote.
I should transform it into a textual choice between tomboy and gnote so
that forcing connection to tomboy is also possible. The configuration
part needs to be added.

I guess I should drop the idea of using an environment variable. I
wasn't able to find much use cases for that.

Here's a list of methods to choose between Tomboy and Gnote, ranked by
priority (higher is last):

- Automatic detection
- Configuration
- Command line option

This way, the user can have control over what is happening and the
"closer" the interaction is to the user, the stronger it is considered.

--
Gabriel Filion