Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] PROBLEM COMPILING GNOME MEETING VERSION 1.2.2

On 3/24/06, Srikanth R <Srikanth Raghupathy isoftplc com> wrote:
> Thanks David.
>
> I have tried GnomeMeeting which was installed using yast.
>
> Its due to my academic curiosity that I am interested to compile the
> source and I am trying to figure out the how I could go out doing that
> as I am new to the open source world.
>
> I tried to compile ekiga but unfortunately was not able to achieve the
> same that prompted me to look into Gnome Meeting Version 1.2.2 as my
> understanding was that the dependencies would be in the system.
>
> Would like to thank every one in the group, for the pain taken to help
> me achieve the same.
>
> Expecting your continued support

I know some on this list consider it off-topic to use the ekiga
community for 'learning linux' - so someone please shout if you want
this useful discussion taken elsewhere.

The dependencies for compilation are in the system *but* they may not
be installed.  Unfortunately gnome applications are a few steps up the
Linux learning curve in terms of compiling from source.

You will find that the experts in compiling from sources will only be
interested in ekiga, and will only have time for fairly terse help
(you will see from the archive that they kindly helped me a couple of
weeks ago.)  You and I need to understand that their main focus is in
helping package maintainers compile good binary packages for further
distribution.

If you want to 'learn Linux' and try compiling something with a very
clean configure script and few dependencies, you will not learn much,
so at some point you are going to meet something like a complex gnome
application with a large number of dependencies.  As you will have
seen, pwlib and openh323 were quite easy and boring to compile and
install.

However it seems you compiled pwlib without openldap support - as
pointed out by Julian in an earlier mail - that may be why the
gnomemeeting compile was unhappy.  Also your openldap compilition
_may_ not have installed the correct libraries in the correct place.

Do you know that after installing libraries in Linux, you should run
ldconfig
as root?

As well as libraries you need header files.  Again this are in your
SuSE 10 system but may not be installed.  Usually you need to search
yast for packages ending with -devel.   I installed several dozen (for
gtk gnome eveolution-data-server openldap and more) before I was able
to compile ekiga.

Good luck!