Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] When Ekiga rings... and when maybe it shouldn't.

Le mercredi 21 juin 2006 à 13:18 -0600, simon a écrit :

> > For my point of view, it makes Ekiga hardly usable...too bad, is such an
> >    oustanding piece of software otherwise !!
>
> Of course it's up to you, but I don't see why this would have a impact
> on usability. Afterall you're either listening to silence (or ringing)
> whilst the call is set up.... the other person will not answer any
> quicker.

Indeed!

I see two possibilities :
1) the server sends the 100 TRYING or 180 RINGING, very quickly (it is
how it should be except if the remote server has load problems): in that
case, delaying the dial tone won't change much to the current behavior.

2) the server sends the 100 TRYING or 180 RINGING with a big delay,
let's say for example 10 seconds: in that case, if we do not play the
dialtone, the user will think that the software is not dialing, not
working, because the silence will be disturbing.

In an ideal world, the remote server will send call progress media,
meaning that the media will start with the telco dialtone as soon as the
180 Ringing is received. You will thus hear the difference and know that
it is the telco tone and not Ekiga's one. That is how it should be done
(in my opinion) and how diamondcard works, for example.

Alternatively, we could also have another sound event for "dialing",
which would be played until the 180 Ringing is received. Not sure it
would bring much. Not sure either it makes the software unusable...
(o-
        SIP Phone      : sip:dsandras ekiga net
                         sip:600000 ekiga net