Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] Registration timeout setting

Le dimanche 22 janvier 2006 à 13:25 -0500, Allan a écrit :
> On Sunday 22 January 2006 11:21, Damien Sandras wrote:
> > Le dimanche 22 janvier 2006 à 10:24 -0500, Allan a écrit :
> > > As a matter of curiosity, could someone explain to me why virtually all
> > > VOIP softphones I have tested have a default registration timeout setting
> > > of 3600. If I'm not mistaken that number is in seconds i.e. corresponds
> > > to one hour.
> > >
> > > Doesn't such a setting defeat the whole purpose of VOIP?  It's like
> > > having a telephone that only works for one hour at a time unless you
> > > happen to think of resetting it again.
> >
> > Well, that breaks only if your IP address changes during that hour.
> > Otherwise, there is no reason to reregister again before that time.
>

> But that's my point.  Why have to reregister after such a short period of
> time?

After one hour?
In case your IP would change, and to tell you are still available.
(o-
//\     GnomeMeeting: http://www.gnomemeeting.org/
v_/_    FOSDEM 2006 : http://www.fosdem.org
        SIP Phone   : sip:dsandras gnomemeeting net
                      sip:600000 gnomemeeting net