[GnomeMeeting-list] Registration timeout setting

As a matter of curiosity, could someone explain to me why virtually all VOIP
softphones I have tested have a default registration timeout setting of 3600.
If I'm not mistaken that number is in seconds i.e. corresponds to one hour.

Doesn't such a setting defeat the whole purpose of VOIP?  It's like having a
telephone that only works for one hour at a time unless you happen to think
of resetting it again.

Allan