Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] Apparent problems w/ ils.seconix.com and NAT

Damien Sandras wrote:
Le mardi 20 septembre 2005 à 14:53 -0500, Reshat Sabiq a écrit :

On Tue, 20 Sep 2005, Damien Sandras wrote:

I think that what you have is an ALSA setup problem that should be
reported back to the Fedora guys.

Strange, but when i upgraded to FC4, webcam mic appeared to work, but i
couldN'T ascertain that cause now the sound card is mis-recognized, and
doesn't work. I guess there is some hope for STX webcam, but will see.

Yes, it should be fixable, because sound card worked w/ FC3, and even on
Knoppix. Before i involve Fedora, i'll try to make a clean install,
instead of upgrade, and then play w/ it a little, if needed. $35-40 for me
isn't a big deal, but i guess this precedent, if i get it to work, could
help others save too.
;)

Every distribution is different, but on Debian, I have this file:
/etc/alsa/modutils/0.9

You must have a similar modutils file.

And that file must contain something like :
options snd major=116 cards_limit=4

If cards_limit is set to 1, then it can explain your problem.

I got STX webcam to work, which should save me about $90 on 2 webcams, in comparison to what it would have cost w/ Pro 4000. I'm not sure if Pro 4000's driver would have provided anymore features, but the essentials i need are there on STX: video and mic support. I think the 2 webcams have about the same features, so it's a good thing that STX works as well. The only difference is that STX requires spca driver, which means everytime the kernel is upgraded, it needs to be re-installed. Maybe one day it will be adopted by FC as well.

I'm not sure what the reason is, but FC3 and FC4 both had problems:
FC3: sound but not mic
FC4 (including updates): mic, but not sound
But when ii installed the latest alsa and sound-config rpms on top of FC4, sound started working, and mic was still working as well: so problem was solved.

P.S. I believe the equivalent of the file you mention on FC is modprobe.conf.dist, but i haven't tried playing w/ it.

Thanks.