Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] Test Experience with Gnomemeeing Opal CVS (18052005)

Hi,

CVS development questions should go to
gnomemeeting-devel-list gnome org ;)

I'll answer here.

Le lundi 23 mai 2005 à 09:05 +0000, Conrad Beckert a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> due to problems with my current installation on Kanotix 2005-02 (which is a
> Debian based distribution) I decided to install a current CVS version.
>
> What happened with my 1.2.1 was, that the people I talked with had choppy,
> staccato sound.  (my reception is rather OK by the way.)

Your reception is ok, but what they heard was choppy?

> Anyway, I installed CVS binaries from the snapshot on seconix.com
>
> The first challenge was to get the ptlib installed. The libpt-cvs binaries
> have a depedency to libpt-plugin-cvs-audio and  -video which do not
> correspond to the downloadable files . OK, that was relatively easy to
> overcome: download everything ans nail it in using dpkg.
>
> The next test was a direct call to both Netmeeting and Neos on my internal
> local network. It took my a while to discover that gnomemeeting doesn't
> listen at all the network adapters anymore. So I set /options / Network
> Settings to eth1, knowing that this will render me unreachable from the
> internet. (ppp0)

Yes, we will change that in the future. That is just giving a problem
with SIP that OPAL maintainers should solve when they start working
again on it.

> It's a pity that "listening to all" including lo0 (gatekeeper??)  is gone.
>
> With those settings changed I could then establish a call to my Netmeeting
> (not until i deactivated my firewall - which was forseeable since Netmeeting
> isn't a good Net-citizen anyway using strange ports.) So I managed to call
> Netmeeting and Neos and recieve calls from those endpoints - but all were
> voice only - no video. The only thing I could see on my gnomemeeting screen
> was myself. The other side's screen remained dark as well.

Video is not reimplemented yet in CVS.

> Due to the fact that I frequently recieve calls from an overseas internet cafe
> with strange router config and OpenPhone as user agent (as well as
> nontechnical people) I run gnugk on my machine to avoid one way audio/video.
> (on the same machine where Gnomemeeting runs)
>
> Unfortunately I couldn't register as I always got "Registration failed".
> (Check out my gatekeeper log at the end of this message please.)

ok

> The next attempt was to use Graig's gatekeeper gk.voxgratia.org:1719 - no
> avail, the same result "failed".
>

> In the need for a decent SIP user agent for Windows (with video) I couldn't
> test this part. Any ideas, what to use? MSN?

SJPhone or X-Lite seem the best choices.

> Any ideas what to do? I assume that my problems aren't general but the result
> of malconfiguration at my side as a cvs version of which binaries are created
> is usually somewhat tested  and hence not as completely broken as I
> experienced. Anything missing?

There is a problem when registering to some gatekeepers, fixing it
breaks other things in the SIP part. Again, that's a problem for OPAL
maintainers, but they do not seem to maintain OPAL anymore. So that's on
the TODO. I'll try to work on that problem, but it won't be before a few
days/weeks.

> Thank you in advance for your help.
> Kind Regards
> Conrad
>

> PS: Any ideas what could cause outgoing sound to be choppy and staccato?

What codec?