[GnomeMeeting-list] Test Experience with Gnomemeeing Opal CVS (18052005)

Hi,

due to problems with my current installation on Kanotix 2005-02 (which is a
Debian based distribution) I decided to install a current CVS version.

What happened with my 1.2.1 was, that the people I talked with had choppy,
staccato sound.  (my reception is rather OK by the way.)

Anyway, I installed CVS binaries from the snapshot on seconix.com

The first challenge was to get the ptlib installed. The libpt-cvs binaries
have a depedency to libpt-plugin-cvs-audio and  -video which do not
correspond to the downloadable files . OK, that was relatively easy to
overcome: download everything ans nail it in using dpkg.

The next test was a direct call to both Netmeeting and Neos on my internal
local network. It took my a while to discover that gnomemeeting doesn't
listen at all the network adapters anymore. So I set /options / Network
Settings to eth1, knowing that this will render me unreachable from the
internet. (ppp0)

It's a pity that "listening to all" including lo0 (gatekeeper??)  is gone.

With those settings changed I could then establish a call to my Netmeeting
(not until i deactivated my firewall - which was forseeable since Netmeeting
isn't a good Net-citizen anyway using strange ports.) So I managed to call
Netmeeting and Neos and recieve calls from those endpoints - but all were
voice only - no video. The only thing I could see on my gnomemeeting screen
was myself. The other side's screen remained dark as well.

Due to the fact that I frequently recieve calls from an overseas internet cafe
with strange router config and OpenPhone as user agent (as well as
nontechnical people) I run gnugk on my machine to avoid one way audio/video.
(on the same machine where Gnomemeeting runs)

Unfortunately I couldn't register as I always got "Registration failed".
(Check out my gatekeeper log at the end of this message please.)

The next attempt was to use Graig's gatekeeper gk.voxgratia.org:1719 - no
avail, the same result "failed".

In the need for a decent SIP user agent for Windows (with video) I couldn't
test this part. Any ideas, what to use? MSN?

Any ideas what to do? I assume that my problems aren't general but the result
of malconfiguration at my side as a cvs version of which binaries are created
is usually somewhat tested  and hence not as completely broken as I
experienced. Anything missing?

Thank you in advance for your help.
Kind Regards
Conrad

PS: Any ideas what could cause outgoing sound to be choppy and staccato?

... protocols do not fit into message, please ask for them and I send them
over CB