Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] Why all the #%$@*(*& dependencies

On Sunday 18 December 2005 22:04, Julien PUYDT wrote:
> Allan a écrit :
> > I have just spent a good half day unsuccessfully trying to compile GM.
> > Why? Because dependencies seem to go about 3-4 layers deep.  I try to
> > compile one package.  It won't compile because of a missing dependency.
> > I locate the package referred to and try to compile it.  Same story,
> > missing dependencies.
> >
> > I can understand why it was useful at one time to have all these
> > libraries. Storage was expensive, etc.  But now, storage is dirt cheap.
> > So can someone give me a rational explanation as to why developers simply
> > don't include everything needed in the packages they produce?  For
> > example, if I recall correctly, Opera comes in two flavours - statically
> > linked and dynamically linked.  The statically linked package is somewhat
> > larger, but so what?
>
> On any decent distribution, something like :
> apt-get install gnomemeeting
> will bring you what you want with no hassle.

That's fine, but how many more months will it be before GM 2 is available on
most distributions?   In the mean time, 1.9 is available only as source for
SUSE.  I finally sorted out the dependencies and was able to run configure on
GM 1.9 and thought I had finally succeeded only to get the following error
message when running make

<quote>
aemau linux:~/gnomemeeting-1.9.0> make

make  all-recursive
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/aemau/gnomemeeting-1.9.0'
Making all in help
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/aemau/gnomemeeting-1.9.0/help'
xsltproc -o gnomemeeting-C.omf --stringparam db2omf.basename gnomemeeting
--stringparam db2omf.format 'docbook' --stringparam db2omf.dtd "-//OASIS//DTD
DocBook XML V4.1.2//EN" --stringparam db2omf.lang C --stringparam
db2omf.omf_dir "/opt/gnome/share/omf" --stringparam db2omf.help_dir
"/opt/gnome/share/gnome/help" --stringparam db2omf.omf_in
"`pwd`/./gnomemeeting.omf.in" `pkg-config --variable db2omf gnome-doc-utils`
C/gnomemeeting.xml
compilation error: file C/gnomemeeting.xml line 10 element article
xsltParseStylesheetProcess : document is not a stylesheet
make[2]: *** [gnomemeeting-C.omf] Error 5
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/aemau/gnomemeeting-1.9.0/help'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/aemau/gnomemeeting-1.9.0'
make: *** [all] Error 2

<endquote>

whereupon the process stops once more and I'm even more frustrated and
confused.

Allan