Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] Why all the #%$@*(*& dependencies

Allan a écrit :
I have just spent a good half day unsuccessfully trying to compile GM. Why? Because dependencies seem to go about 3-4 layers deep. I try to compile one package. It won't compile because of a missing dependency. I locate the package referred to and try to compile it. Same story, missing dependencies.

I can understand why it was useful at one time to have all these libraries. Storage was expensive, etc. But now, storage is dirt cheap. So can someone give me a rational explanation as to why developers simply don't include everything needed in the packages they produce? For example, if I recall correctly, Opera comes in two flavours - statically linked and dynamically linked. The statically linked package is somewhat larger, but so what?

On any decent distribution, something like :
apt-get install gnomemeeting
will bring you what you want with no hassle.

Snark on #gnomemeeting