[GnomeMeeting-list] Why all the #%$@*(*& dependencies

I have just spent a good half day unsuccessfully trying to compile GM.  Why?
Because dependencies seem to go about 3-4 layers deep.  I try to compile one
package.  It won't compile because of a missing dependency.  I locate the
package referred to and try to compile it.  Same story, missing dependencies.

I can understand why it was useful at one time to have all these libraries.
Storage was expensive, etc.  But now, storage is dirt cheap.  So can someone
give me a rational explanation as to why developers simply don't include
everything needed in the packages they produce?  For example, if I recall
correctly, Opera comes in two flavours - statically linked and dynamically
linked.  The statically linked package is somewhat larger, but so what?

Allan