Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] GM 3.00: a poll, please contribute

On mer, 2005-04-06 at 23:19 +0200, Damien Sandras wrote:
> Hi,
Hi Damien, and all,
Trying to come back form my rather long period of inactivity regarding
GnomeMeeting support lately (though I continued to "evangelize" here and
there when I was feeling it would be good to promote GnomeMeeting, at
work, with friends or known people, etc...)

> To make sure everyone understands,   the purpose of the former
> discussion is to determine a few things :
>
> 1)
> Should the UI stay the same, or be changed? There is a proposition in an
> earlier mail.
I Guess I would say "Should be changed".
My thoughts are that GM is primarily a VoIP application which could
support video, so I think we could switch to a GUI which could display
the video field only when a video stream is received or sent (if we
choose to display local video). I mean as VoIP softphone perhaps the GUI
should promote the dialpad or such kind of features when the app is
idle, or don't need video window (though displaying the GM logo is good
for its own advertisment)

> 2)
> should we stay a softphone with only SIP instant messenging, and nothing
> else?
> OR
> should we have jabber support and become that way a softphone with IM
> capabilities?
> OR
> should we stay a softphone and put our efforts into integration as an
> EXTERNAL component with Jabber clients?
I think i would tend for the 3rd solution.
Or more, but unfortunatelly that's more of the domain of the other apps
to provide such features, a softphone which can incorparate some kind of
external components thru plugins/dbus or corba or bonobo or RPC or
whatever thing it's called (i don't know enough about those things)
directly into an unified and main GM window.
Opening the field of those components to IM, presence notification, IM
gateway (/me is looking to gaim guys for example), file transfer
directly from wihtin GM while in conversation or sharing desktop (/me is
turning to the opent120 guys), answering machine and so on.

> 3)
> What's your profile? Softphone user or chatter?
Currently more chatter thru gaim(because of the ability to chat to
MSN/ICQ/Jabber thru a single app) than intensively using GM.
However my girlfriend went back at her home abroad from me since not so
long, i guess i will/we will start to videochat thru GM again very soon,
or i will restart to call on her cellphone thru PC-to-Phone capability
of GM. ;-)

> 4)
> If an MSN client was made available for Linux, would you still use
> GnomeMeeting and why? Would new users use the MSN client or
> GnomeMeeting?
switched from MS Windows to linux desktop years ago and feel very happy
being MS free at home (work is another situation), so certainly won't
use a Linux MSN client.

My 2 euro cents.

Fabrice

--
Fabrice Alphonso <fabrice alphonso dyndns org>