Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] GM 3.00: a poll, please contribute

Hi Damien
Just my comments:

Form follows function - so that's why I start with 2)
>> 2) should we stay a softphone with only SIP instant
messenging ... OR  should we have jabber support <<
If possible we should get Jabber support. Why? Despite
of its sleazy chat image, Instant Messaging is
becoming an interessting alternative to corporate
email - especially in a distributed office environment
because:
- I see in advance if the person I'm turning to is
present or not (often my email remains unanswered
because the recipient is at lunch or even vacationing)
- I have a log of the discussion for later
- I'm not really disturbing the other person as he/she
can answer later (but not so late as with email)
But Instant Messaging is not perfect - it's not very
useful for discussing complex issus. That's where
telephony comes into the play.

Why Jabber: Jabber has the nice concept of gateways
letting us contact a variety of messengers with one
single Jabber client. Unfortunately it's text only.
Perhaps one can extend that concept to multimedia too
one day. (e.g, have a server service to convert SIP<->
MSN or SIP<->Yahoo)

>> 1) Should the UI stay the same, or be changed?<<
There is a nice example for an Instant Messenger /
H323 integration we might have discussed on this list:
http://www.neosmt.com Unfortunately Windows only, it
shows how an Instant messenger can integrate in a
softphone. I don't like the way the user interface is
designed when it comes to calling someone who is not
in the roster. (>> media panel --) So your approach of
keeping the URL line is definitely better.

Probably neosmt is a client Gnomemeeting should be
interoperable with.

>>3) What's your profile? Softphone user or chatter?<<
Hard to say. I'd say Softphoner :-) for the time
beeing. There is interest in an solution for
integrated communication that comprises VoIP,
Videoconference, Instant Messenging, Whiteboard,
Sharing Screens etc.

Instead of reinventing the wheel Gnomemeeting should
integrate in such a concept and provide a framework
other apps could plug into. The basis for that would
the concept of presence, connection and transport
(SIP, Jabber, H323) in Gnomemeeting (putting more
emphasis in actually "meeting")

> 4) If an MSN client was made available for Linux,
would you still use GnomeMeeting and why? Would new
users use the MSN client or GnomeMeeting?<<
The decission against Microsoft is definitely not
because it's user interface is bad. It's probably also
not due to the marketing driven functionality (though
I dislike this very much)
What's many folks putting off is Microsoft's record of
privacy or rather the lack of. One selling point for
Linux or Open Source applications such as Firefox,
Thunderbird and to some extend OpenOffice too, is
transparency and privacy what often means "Microsoft
free" (no matter if this is really an advance in
privacy or only a felt improvement)

In this context it doesn't make any sense to kick out
Microsoft on the desktop while keep communicating via
Microsoft servers on MSN.

I learned that MSN has SIP support somehow. One should
facilitate Gnomemeeting's integration into that.

Conrad