Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] Temporary GNU GateKeeper registrations...?

On Tue, 2004-09-07 at 09:21 +0200, Damien Sandras wrote:
> Le lundi 06 septembre 2004 �3:27 +0100, Chris Rankin a �it :
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am running the GNU Gatekeeper on my firewall to make
> > it "H323-aware". The idea is that everyone local
> > registers with the Gatekeeper and then calls
> > whomsoever they wish, either internally or using
> > h323:a.b.c.d syntax.
> >
> > The problem arises with incoming calls. By the
> > definition of the Gatekeeper, an incoming caller needs
> > to register too before they can call someone.

I don't think this is the case.  See below.

> BUT,
> > there's no reason why this incoming caller would want
> > to connect to my Gatekeeper unless calling someone on
> > my network. The rest of the time, they might even want
> > to register with other Gatekeepers. However, the
> > current GnomeMeeting assumes that you have a single
> > Gatekeeper registration that you don't want to change
> > very much.
>
> Registering to several gatekeepers at the same time is not possible with
> H.323.

Openh323 does have the notion of doing looks lrq ups to a gatekeeper you
are not registered to: there is some notation like
fred gk:somegatekeeper

Now, I am not sure if this form is supported by gnomemeeting.  Craig may
be able to answer.

Of note: you don't necessarily have to be registered to a gatekeeper to
do lookups against it.

Otherwise the answer here is spot on: gnugk can act as a gateway.  It
will do what you want. :)

> > Am I missing something here? Should I be using
> > something other than the GNU Gatekeeper? Am I mad to
> > think that some URL like:
> >
> > GK:<gatekeeper name>/userID

Your not mad at all - others have wanted such a thing.