Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] Re: [GnomeMeeting-devel-list] 1.2 Roadmap - Name Change?

Le dim, 23/05/2004 à 16:59 +0200, daniel huhardeaux a écrit :

> >Now, I'm more and more worried about GnomeMeeting's name because :
> >
> >- people associate GnomeMeeting to Netmeeting, and Netmeeting is dead.
> >Moreover, GnomeMeeting is more than just Netmeeting and will also
> >support SIP in the future. So people think GnomeMeeting is a dead
> >application just because the new "hype" is Skype or MSN Messenger even
> >if GnomeMeeting has the same features...
> >

> Problem is that today people says "my friends have messenger(skype), I
> have to use messenger (skype)" What is SIP or H323 oe IAX  they don't
> know. But telling them that you can call with SIP UA or H323 UA, they
> start to think different. So I think problem is not only GM but all UA's
> SIP, H323 and IAX.

I agree with this.

> >- people think a webcam is necessary to use GnomeMeeting, they think
> >"Skype is for people who want to do voicechat, and GnomeMeeting is for
> >people who want to videochat". But that's wrong, GnomeMeeting has just
> >more features. I think that the confusion is due to the Netmeeting name.
> >
> >- people don't see GnomeMeeting as a Voice Over IP application, or as an
> >IP telephony application. I don't know why...
> >

> First of all, they are using Windows (as far as I know, there is no
> audio client compliant of skype or messenger , doesn't matter which OS).
> So if GnomeMetting doesn't run under windows, they are not interested.

Well, GnomeMeeting is H.323, and will be SIP before the end of the year
(I hope), so there are plenty of software, even for windows, with which
GnomeMeeting will be compatible. But I agree having GnomeMeeting for
Win32 would be nice. From the latest news, it runs withouth any change
in the current CVS code, we'll see if it is stable or not.

[..]

Damien