Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] Audio device error

On Tuesday 17 February 2004 20:30, Pierre-Philippe Coupard wrote:
> Anne Wilson wrote:
> >>Wrong - the emu10kx can be opened by 32 programs for playback
> >>simultanously (an 8 recording). Mixing is done in hardware.
> >>
> >>Most probably Kilian is right here, and the OSS emulation modules
> >>are missing.
> >
> > All I know is that I had exactly the same symptoms.  I killed
> > aRts and it worked.
>
> With a SBLive, you can have aRts, esd, ..., and multiple OSS
> programs running at the same time. That's my setup here in fact. A
> SBLive (or any card that does hardware multiplexing) is well worth
> the investment to spare you pains from the
> incompatible-sound-systems syndrome Linux has been suffering from
> since ALSA and sound daemons have appeared on the scene.
>
> As a side note, that's also why I stick to OSS in my projects that
> involve sound
>
> : it's universal, I'm still not convinced the ALSA API has
> : stabilized (and it's
>
> Linux-only), and sound daemons suck pond water with low-latency
> audio. OSS will probably take even longer than Motif to disappear
> as a result ;-)
>
> But I digress, sorry...

We're drifting slightly OT, but this is an Audigy Platinum card, which
didn't behave too well with the audgy driver, so it is running with
emu10k1 (and emu10k1-tools).  I could not get GM to recognise any
available sound channel until I killed aRts.  As long as I do that
before a session, sound works.  Oh, and btw, it is set to
full-duplex.

Anne
--
Registered Linux User No.293302