Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] Which audio codec?

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 00:12:36 +0000 (GMT)
Chris Rankin <rankincj yahoo com> wrote:

..deleted

> Can anyone explain to me how GnomeMeeting chooses
> which audio codec it will use, please? Why should one
> duff codec prevent me from connecting at all? And
> which codec am I using when I do finally manage to
> connect anyway?
>
> Thanks for any assistance here,
> Cheers,
> Chris

It's not a GM problem, but a problem with the other end. It's not
unusual (although it's very, very frustrating) for some H.323
implementations to refuse a terminal capability set if it fails to
recognise any of the codecs. IIRC, NetMeeting will refuse to connect if
it receives a connection offering T.38.

This is not just a H.323 problem either - I had exactly the same problem
with a SIP carrier only a few weeks ago that could only do G.711 but
would refuse to connect at all if either iLBC or Speex was offered as an
option.

The only way to avoid this problem is to disable the offending codecs
(as you have done). The final codec is displayed somewhere GM.

> P.S. Does anyone know if there's a NetMeeting
> equivalent for GM's
>
> h323:alias gatekeeper
>
> syntax, please? I use the GnuGk on my router, but
> can't really ask all NetMeeting-using callers to
> register with it.

NetMeeting supports the "callto" URL scheme, which is also supported by
OpenH323 (and hence GnomeMeeting). See the following URL for more
information:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/netmeet/nm3_1l4o.asp

   Craig

 Craig Southeren      craigs postincrement com / craigs voxgratia org

 Phone:  +61 243654666      ICQ: #86852844
 Fax:    +61 243673140      MSN: craig_southeren hotmail com
 Mobile: +61 417231046   Jabber: craigs jabber voxgratia org

 Post Increment - Consulting & Services    http://www.postincrement.com
 Vox Gratia - The Open Source VoIP portal  http://www.voxgratia.org
 Raving Of A Strange Mind - the VoIP blog  http://www.southeren.com/blog