Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] Poll

On Thu, 9 Dec 2004, Mirco Scaramucci wrote:

I have tried to use the webcam on netmeeting, xawtv, vanity webcam and other utilities but none of them seem to detect a video device. I have probed the video device several times and that seemed to have gone fine but when I tried to use webcam with other utilities nothing happens. According to one of the mantainers of the qc-ga driver my webcam has got the wrong vendor ID and therefore is not supported.

http://www.qbik.ch/usb/devices/

Check vendor ID. Rejoice or cry. Or first cry, then rejoice, and add it to the list so other people know it works and can do some rejoicing too.

If you cry, don't forget to tell the company that they lost a customer because of their lousy support and lack of hardware specs.

So what webcam is supported on Suse Linux 9.2 pro?

I don't know which specific drivers or software Suse includes. I use a Philips ToUcam FUN II (PCVC830K); it worked half (lo res), then it got removed from the kernel and disappeared, and now a nice guy named Luc Saillard saved it -- and made it work in hi res.

I did not succeed in getting a Logitech Quickcam Messenger and a Creative Webcam NX (not Pro) to work this summer. I have heard rumors that a Creative Webcam NX Pro should work in Linux, and 'some models' of the Logitech Quickcam Pro 4000. Check the USB device site.

It's true that webcam support is still extremely poor in Linux. You have the manufacturers to blame for that, rather than Gnome Meeting or the Linux kernel.